Jtwenty7

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

K.I.T.

Not too long before I got married, my brother and I went to see Bowfinger, starring Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy. There really wasn't much else to see at the time, so we kind of happened upon it accidentally. It turned out to be a blast where we both took turns laughing out loud.

Eddie Murphy's character, Kit Ramsey, is a huge movie star who thinks that aliens are out to get him. When he goes to "Mindhead," his therapist tells him he must K.I.T., and asks the actor to relay back to him what that means.

"K.I.T. Keep It Together. Keep It Together, Keep It Together, Keep It Together, Keep It Together..."

It's one of those times when I could flail around for six weeks straight, wearing myself out from the strain. And it would all be for nothing because it's not like flailing gets you anywhere. Instead, I could recognize this as one of those instances where you tread water, listen, enjoy the extra time and watch God do His stuff.

I know me. I'll still flail. I'll still freak out when a ship plows by without noticing, instead of stopping to rescue me. I'll think the nights are too long and the days are too empty. And then, before I know it, some incredible yacht will pull up and take me to the next adventure (in some stories, the yacht is a cattle trailer).

"...but when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind..."
James 1:6


Keep It Together.

1 Comments:

  • Joy- funny how we both chose the same layout, and both our names are "Joy" anyway, I just thought I would return the visit to your blog. I posted a return comment on the John Mayer song... but didn't know if you'd be back. It sounds like we are both having new beginnings and difficulties of different sorts, and something about the grocercy store seems to make things hit home for me too. Weird. My mantra is "Just keep swimming..." from Finding Nemo, but "KIT" is another good one. Just remember that it is okay to let it out with safe people at safe times. You need to do that too. I hope that you find peace in your darker hours, that the Lord will be your comfort and your shield. Reading through the Psalms is always a comfort to me. Bless you.

    By Blogger Joyella, at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home