Jtwenty7

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Trip to the Subconscious

I'm getting my drink ready at McDonald's, waiting for my order to come up. As I'm doing this, I'm wondering why I placed such a strange order. I never get the big breakfast meal at McDonald's, especially in a case like this when I'm running late. How will I eat the pancakes in the car? It's not like I'm driving far, either.

Order comes up. I open the box to view my first big breakfast meal, and see that instead, it's a sausage and egg mcmuffin (my usual) with fries, mayo and something else I can't quite figure out what is. I would wonder why they're serving fries before 10:30am and when mayo became standard for the mcmuffin, but I'm too concerned because there's no egg on my egg mcmuffin. The most frustrating part is, the lady behind the counter insists that there's an egg in my box. WHERE?!?!? Does she not know that I'm running late?!?

Finally, I find the egg - it's resting below the entire sandwich and it's about the size of two quarters. Oh well. I'm in too much of a hurry to even think of being demanding. I'm about to leave, when another lady comes up and hands me something else. They keep filling my order that I thought was complete. There are four drinks, my meal and something else. Great! Now I'm going to need a drink holder! How am I going to carry all of this?

David is going to kill me. I've been late before, but I'm really late today, and it's an important day. I'm going to be lucky if I make even the last five minutes of rehearsal. The merge onto Bullsboro has suddenly become this complicated clover-leaf, but somehow I get on and head towards downtown.

As I'm driving, there's the realization that some woman has launched herself off towards the sun and Superman will most likely make it to save her, but he'll have to hurry and even then, he'll make it just in time.


7:27am: I wake up and look at the clock beside my bed. Weird dream.

If Mike still worked there, I would have exactly 33 minutes to get ready and be down at the church for rehearsal. Today is the big Vivaldi Gloria during both morning worship services. I was supposed to have a duet. Tonight is the first of two presentations of "O Holy Night." I was supposed to sing with the Inspirations and then the big finale.

8:08am: Choir members at a Methodist church downtown are gathering music, telling each other good morning and are warming up. I'm in my pajamas, typing at a computer.

I haven't gone back to bed, mostly because I have this cold that is keeping me awake. But I also can't stop thinking about what I should have been doing right now. Music was one of the best parts of church there. I never would have dreamed that, after college, I would be in a choir that got to sing Rutter and pieces in Latin. I didn't even have an outlet for music when we lived in Colorado. It was good to sing again here, and play the piano in the sunday school rooms, just for fun.

Anyway, funny that I should wake up dreaming all of that this morning. I hadn't even thought about choir before going to sleep last night. The last I remember thinking about it was yesterday morning when I knew they were having rehearsal for today. It's amazing how something that's in the back of your mind can come forward in a dream...

Oh, you're probably wondering about the Superman part. I think that's just the result of a few too many superhero movies while I pack and wrap presents...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home