Jtwenty7

Monday, January 31, 2005

Jet Stream

I'm a New York Jets fan. If I hear they're playing, I always root for them. I don't know anything about the Jets, except for a tv-movie about Dennis Byrd that I watched when I was in high school. He used to play for the Jets until he was paralyzed as a result of an injury he sustained during a game. He and his wife are really neat Christians that prayed their way through the situation as they waited for healing and restoration.

There's this great scene where they're singing in an old country church:

They that wait upon the Lord
Shall renew their strenth
They shall mount up with wings as eagles

They shall run and not grow weary
They shall walk and not faint
Teach me Lord
Teach me Lord to wait


Today was a no day. Two more nos and we'll have none. We've reached the two-month mark as of tomorrow - a point where I really thought we'd be doing some serious packing and making the goodbye rounds. And now we almost seem further from yes than we did a month ago. Apparently God and I have different timetables.

Newnan was actually the first place we moved where I didn't have a timetable. I was supposed to live in Huntington for six months until my husband finished college and then we'd move where he went to seminary. We were supposed to live in Denver for three years while he finished seminary and then we'd move to the first job. The first job was a chance to settle in and establish some roots, without counting down until the time we'd move again. I think it's best not to know the future. I would have been lousy at adapting to Newnan if I had known that I'd only be here for 18-some-odd months.

And now I'm discovering that I really need to live the next several days or months or years without a timetable. I've been lousy about Newnan the past few weeks - the last week especially, as I find my temper running shorter and shorter and my patience wearing thinner and thinner. Instead of living as if I'm leaving tomorrow, I suppose I should at least live as if I'm here til the end of next month. By then, maybe I can say that I'm ready to stay until the end of the month after that.

Afterall, by the end of the movie and after a lot of hard work in physical therapy, Dennis Byrd was able to walk again. Pretty inspiring faith.

Teach me Lord
Teach me Lord to wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home