Jtwenty7

Friday, February 11, 2005

Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth

Now here's one of those statements that you hear and you know what the person is saying, but you have no clue as to what it means. I just did a google search and found goenglish.com, which explains pocket english idioms. Here is their answer to "looking a gift horse in the mouth":

You are looking a gift horse in the mouth when you receive a gift and then you question the value of that gift. You are like a person who has been given a horse as a gift and you are looking into the horse's mouth to see if it is in good health.

I think we as Christians spend a lot of time looking for horse cavities. A friend of mine and I were talking the other night while we were waiting for a movie and she was saying how she's ready for Jesus to come back. Maybe it's just me, but do you remember being younger and thinking, "I don't want Jesus to come back until I've gotten married?" Or, "I want to have kids and then Jesus can come back."

Is it just me? Maybe I'm a horrible Christian to want to delay the whole heaven thing, but I'm really enjoying the gift of life. That's what it is, isn't it? A gift? Why are there so many songs and seemingly endless Christian concerts (by Mercy Me - please excuse the parenthesis) that droan on and on about earth not being our home and having to suffer here and not fit in until it's time for us to go to heaven? It wears me out.

I told my friend that even now, when things seemingly can't go much worse, I still don't want to have Jesus come back and instantly rescue me to heaven. I love the gift of life! And even though heaven is going to be awesome, this is our one chance at this single experience called being human.

So I'm going to grab the horse and ride for now. Maybe it'll take me straight to that pasture in the sky, but I feel like I've got a few more miles to go first. And I'm going to appreciate every moment of the gift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home