Jtwenty7

Monday, March 07, 2005

Extravagance

Before you read on, be sure to watch this.

This video bothered me. I believe in missions and I back up that belief with my checkbook. I believe in ministering to the poor and that’s why I’ve found myself interacting with kids in the midst of a garbage dump in Central America. I’ve played with orphan kids in Romania and I’ve knocked down walls in Ecuador so that radio waves can invade Afghanistan.

I realize that, if Americans would simply tithe their 10%, we could knock out world hunger.

But I think there’s a reality check between thinking that it’s wrong to make a music video because kids in Africa are starving and realizing that this is America and we’ve been blessed and we’ve worked hard for what we have.

Yes, but a woman shouldn’t have to work two jobs and sell oranges just to send her kids to school. It’s wrong. It’s a fallen world. And we should do everything we can to help.

Yeah for Sarah Mclachlin. We now are all very aware of what her right hand is doing.

And, just since I’m being a jerk (or at least coming across as one), the cost of a t-shirt is $5, an investment that would make it look like Sarah actually has a shirt on in this video, rather than appearing to be topless, covered only by a guitar.

I'm trying to find a balance. The balance between being concerned about the poor all over the world and enjoying the blessings in my own life.

When I was trying to think about this in terms of the Bible, a story of incredible extravagance came to mind. Remember when Mary poured expensive perfume on Jesus? The disciples were quick to jump all over her - "Why this waste? This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

And I love what Jesus says. "Why are you bothering this woman?"

I think America has been extremely blessed because, regardless of how much we try to hide it, we were founded on Christian principles - a nation under God. And the answer isn't that we're bad people for having fancy computers and fast cars and big houses.

I know a wealthy couple, the Merillat's, in Michigan. Because of their extravagance, I went to one of the most beautiful Christian college campuses in the Midwest. Because of their extravagance, I enjoyed a semester at Focus on the Family learning about leadership in church, family and society.

We need to give extravagantly out of the blessings that we've been given.

I think Rich Mullins sums up what I am failing to say plainly:

Before I got into this music business, I was determined to live a life of dire and grinding poverty. I remember my uncle saying, "Wow, you are so proud of being poor - what's so great? You would do a lot better to be a little more industrious, a little more frugal. If you're really concerned about the poor, becoming poor isn't going to help them, it's just going to ease your own conscience. If you're really concerned about the poor, go out and make a fortune and spend it on them."
++Rich Mullins++

5 Comments:

  • Like John Wesley said: Make as much as you can; save as much as you can; give as much as you can...there is nothing wrong with having money, as long as you are using it to further the Kingdom of God...I just can't decipher, though, if you are pro or con this video...

    Also, America was more founded on a deistic than it was on a Christian foundation...

    By Blogger Fitz, at 6:38 PM  

  • You're kidding, right? I guess my writing yesterday was worse than I thought, because I was under the impression that it was clear that I couldn't stand this video.

    And I'm at a loss that a seemingly educated Christian and American would even consider that our country wasn't founded on faith in God.

    And have we forgotten that powerful Friend? Or do we imagine that we no longer need His assistance? I have lived, sir, a long time and the longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured, sir, in the sacred writings that 'except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.' I firmly believe this and I also believe that without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel.

    --Benjamin Franklin, quoted by James Madison in Notes on Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787.
    Yeah, that sounds like someone who thinks the Creator is a hands-off kind of guy.

    By Blogger Joy, at 9:26 PM  

  • Wow, sorry if I offended you...and that my education was not as good as yours apparently...

    By Blogger Fitz, at 10:03 AM  

  • Okay, so this didn't go well...

    I didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your throat or anything. I just really enjoy debating back and forth with people, especially on things that I'm passionate about. I think it's how we sharpen our own beliefs, making viewpoints three dimensional, rather than just unfounded statements.

    I'm a pushover in person...and I guess a little too brutal on the internet.

    By Blogger Joy, at 6:13 PM  

  • It's funny how the written word cannot contain the emotion or intent of the writer...I have had that very thing backfire on me...I had to go back and apologize to someone because of an e-mail interchange...no hard feelings...

    By Blogger Fitz, at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home